A perfect denial management means zero-errors in the charge entry process. A well-structured charge entry process in revenue cycle management companies can witness a phenomenal growth of revenue as well as business.
Revenue Cycle Management companies heeds towards processes that can complete payments without any denials by holding a strong power in the healthcare industry.
Charge Entry process is considered to be crucial and substantial to manage denials and travels towards successful and profitable revenue payments.
Steps to Manage Charge Entry Process:
- Files Receipt
- Downloads and Allocations of Files
- Patient Demographic Details Entry
- EOB Follow-Up
- Claim Denial Analysis
- Feedback From Clients
- As mentioned earlier, Explanation of Benefits (EOBs) and cheques are supposed to be received from the healthcare professionals without fail in a scanned format through secured FTP sites.
Downloads and Allocations of Files:
- It’s the duty of medical billing team experts to download those files from the secured websites, check and review the materials or the files to allocate them to the payments posting team.
- The allocated files are posted for the payments by the payments posting team successfully.
Patient Demographic Details Entry:
- The patient demographic data is captured by the payments posting team that includes patient account number, amount billed and amount allowed, amount adjusted and paid.
- They also enter the denials if any found along with the patient demographic details.
- While having or making partial payments, it’s important and crucial to initiate necessary investigations and analysis to take respective steps.
- Revenue Cycle Management companies’ medical billing teams analyzes all the submitted claims thoroughly.
- The billing team takes in charge to correct the errors in the claims and resubmit them for a post payment.
Feedback from the Clients:
- Feedback from the clients or healthcare professionals is very important. It’s useful to evaluate the data quality and refine the changes or errors and make improvements.
- Positive feedback from healthcare professionals will boost revenue cycle management companies to deliver better services following revenue growth.
Factors that Cover Charge Entry:
- Date of the service provided
- Billing and Rendering providers
- Admission Date
- Place of service
- Physician Reference
- CPT coding and units performed
- Diagnosis Codes
How Does Charge Entry Help Healthcare Providers Practice?
Achieve Constant Revenue Flow:
- Services rendered by the healthcare professionals are transcripted into codes and each service is separately charged accurately to obtain proper reimbursement.
- Revenue Cycle Management companies take the responsibility of charge entry process which is considered as important for feasible and seamless flow of revenue.
Prevents Claim Denials and Rejections:
- Usually claim denials and rejections are caused due to errors in the patient demographic details or pre-authorization.
- When errors occur, they are processed for next level to recorrect with accurate details and resubmit those claims within the deadline.
- In order to avoid or prevent claim denials or rejections, revenue cycle management can be more attentive during charge entry process that eliminates the possibility of getting denied or rejected.
Time Consumption is reduced:
- Normal data entry consumes lot of time and effort for identifying errors.
- At times, it’s evident that it takes days or weeks to find out the mistakes in the claims.
- It will for sure have an impact on revenue cycle management process. Charge entry can change the situation.
- Systematic charge entry process in revenue cycle management companies will help consume less time for investigating and identifying errors in the claims.
Importance of Charge Entry:
- Charge entry is considered to be most important process as all the patients accounts are assigned with accurate monetary value with right coding system.
- Revenue payments or the denials are decided by the charge entry for the services rendered by the healthcare professionals.
- The very next process after charge entry would be claim denials and any errors in charge entry could lead to denials and revenue loss.
- Most of revenue cycle management companies work on charge entry process to ensure no mistakes are found and won’t be a reason for denials for submitted claims.
- To manage and maintain accurate and clean charge entry process, medical billing and coding team should coordinate and work for error free claims.
- Two critical steps involved for zero-errors charge entry:
- As it’s mentioned, patient demographic details are very essential and entering them accurately plays a crucial role in the process.
- Correct details of the patient must be entered and processed before submitting the claim.
- Double check the charge entry details especially all the information relates to patient including their name, ID numbers, and account details etc. to avoid denials.
- Medical coding is a phase of process where it requires experts and recognized medical coding systems.
- Any mistake or mis-entry of medical codes for the services rendered by the healthcare professionals will be rejected by the insurance companies before submitting the claim.
- There are few data entries that is particular and compulsory to be included in charge entry process.
- They are admission dates, dates of services, place of service, healthcare provider details, pre-authorization and coding.
- Charge entry in revenue cycle management companies ensures revenue payments or payment postings on time without any delay.
- Entry must be in detail and should be done accurately with utmost attention.
- When the data and coding is accurate, there will be less chances for denials and claim process for further payments will be done easily by insurance companies.
- Experts in billing and coding teams in revenue cycle management companies must concentrate on charge entry to ensure growth in revenue and constant reimbursements.
Role of Charge Entry in Medical Billing Process:
- Charge Entry has a unique and important role to play in assigning appropriate charges with suitable medical codes and applicable fee schedule.
- Revenue payments for the rendered services will be especially determined by Charge Entry as it’s the crucial point.
- Being attentive while charge entry process is essential as errors on charge entries will cause denials. So, in order to avoid denials or rejections, good coordination between charge entry and medical coding team that increases revenue reimbursements are to be encouraged.
- Details to be included in Charge Entry:
- Admission Date
- Date of service provided
- Place of service
- Provider details
- Physician reference
- Procedure and Diagnosis code.
Why you need a Charge Entry Specialist:
Having a specialist in the billing team for the purpose of charge entry can be beneficial to the organization, by making the revenue cycle management duties better functioning. Here is how a charge entry specialist boosts your system:
- A specialist takes note of the patient accounts daily and updates them according to the latest accurate documents.
- Revenue cycle management needs the attention of several components of the billing team. The professional makes it a point to get in touch with every sub-department to help in making an informed decision.
- They are also capable of auditing all documents related to reimbursements in the organization.
- Professionals stay up to date with any new legislation passed by the federal and state bodies and implement them for best results.
- They have good knowledge of HIPAA compliance, which helps them to keep the patient records and health information secured.
Hope you received the information on Charge Entry. For any suggestions, please comment below. We will definitely consider them if relevant to the topic. For further queries and updates on healthcare, please subscribe to our blog.