Well, we all know the changes that took place in medical coding for 2021. ICD-10-CM codes have been updated for the year 2021 to ease the work of healthcare professionals without any confusion. ICD-10-CM codes are usually assigned for every disease. For chronic diseases like diabetes and heart diseases, ICD-10-CM codes will automatically follow the medical records.
Across the world, many countries follow ICD-10-CM codes as they help in tracking health statistics and death cause. These codes are very helpful in gathering data or information of particular chronic illness and new diseases. ICD-10-CM codes are also used in clinical trials to track and recruit few subjects.
Let’s check few ICD-10-CM codes and categories:
- A00-B99: Codes for certain infectious and parasitic diseases
- C00-D49: Neoplasms
- D50-D89: These codes are for diseases of the blood and blood-forming organs and certain disorders involving the immune mechanism
- E00-E89: Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases
- F01-F99: Mental, Behavioral and Neurodevelopmental disorders
- G00-G99: Diseases of the nervous system
- H00-H59: Diseases of the eye and adnexa
- H60-H95: Diseases of the ear and mastoid process
- I00-I99: Diseases of the circulatory system
- J00-J99: Diseases of the respiratory system
- K00-K95: Diseases of the digestive system
- L00-L99: Diseases of the skin and subcutaneous tissue
- M00-M99: Diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue
- N00-N99: Diseases of the genitourinary system
- O00-O9A: Pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium
- P00-P96: Some conditions originating in the perinatal period
- Q00-Q99: Congenital malformations, deformations and chromosomal abnormalities
- R00-R99: Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified
- S00-T88: Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes
- U00-U85: Codes for special purposes
- V00-Y99: External causes of morbidity
- Z00-Z99: Factors influencing health status and contact with health services
ICD-10-CM codes for Parasitic and Infectious Diseases:
- A00-A09: Intestinal infectious diseases
- A15- A19: Tuberculosis
- A20-A28 :Certain zoonotic bacterial diseases
- A30-A49 : Other bacterial diseases
- A50-A64: Infections with a predominantly sexual mode of transmission..
- A65-A69 : Other spirochetal diseases
- A70-A74 :Other diseases caused by chlamydiae
- A75-A79: Rickettsioses
- A80-A89: Viral and prion infections of the central nervous system.
- A90-A99: Arthropod-borne viral fevers and viral hemorrhagic fever.
- B00-B09: Viral infections characterized by skin and mucous membrane lesions.
- B10-B10: Other human herpesviruses
- B15-B19 :Viral hepatitis
- B20-B20: Human immunodeficiency virus [HIV] diseases.
- B25-B34 :Other viral diseases
- B35-B49 :Mycoses
- B50-B64 :Protozoal diseases
- B65-B83 :Helminthiases
- B85-B89: Pediculosis, acariasis and other infestation.
- B90-B94: Sequelae of infectious and parasitic disorders.
- B95-B97: Bacterial and viral infectious agents.
- B99-B99 :Other infectious diseases
ICD-10-CM codes for Neoplasms:
- C00-C14: Malignant neoplasms of lip, oral cavity and pharynx.
- C15-C26 :Malignant neoplasms of digestive organs
- C30-C39: Malignant neoplasms of respiratory and intrathoracic organs.
- C40-C41: Malignant neoplasms of bone and articular cartilage
- C43-C44: Melanoma and other malignant neoplasms of skin.
- C45-C49: Malignant neoplasms of mesothelial and soft tissue.
- C50-C50 :Malignant neoplasms of breast
- C51-C58: Malignant neoplasms of female genital organs.
- C60-C63: Malignant neoplasms of male genital organs..
- C64-C68: Malignant neoplasms of urinary tract
- C69-C72: Malignant neoplasms of eye, brain and others..
- C73-C75: Malignant neoplasms of thyroid and others.
- C76-C80: Malignant neoplasms of ill-defined, others..
- C7A-C7A: Malignant neuroendocrine tumors
- C7B-C7B: Secondary neuroendocrine tumors
- C81-C96: Malignant neoplasms of lymphoid,hematopoietic related
- D00-D09 :In situ neoplasms
- D10-D36: Benign neoplasms, except benign neuroendocrine tumors.
- D37-D48: Neoplasms of uncertain behavior, polycythemia vera and myelodysplastic syndromes
- D3A-D3A :Benign neuroendocrine tumors
- D49-D49 :Neoplasms of unspecified behavior
ICD-10-CM codes for Diseases of the blood and blood-forming organs and certain disorders involving the immune mechanism
- D50-D53: Nutritional anemias
- D55-D59 :Hemolytic anemias
- D60-D64: Aplastic and other anemias and other bone marrow failure syndrome.
- D65-D69: Coagulation defects, purpura and other hemorrhagic conditions
- D70-D77: Other disorders of blood and blood-forming organs.
- D78-D78: Intraoperative and postprocedural complications of the spleen.
- D80-D89: Certain disorders involving the immune mechanism.
Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases:
- E00-E07: Disorders of thyroid gland
- E08-E13: Diabetes mellitus
- E15-E16: Other disorders of glucose regulation and pancreatic internal secretion.
- E20-E35: Disorders of other endocrine glands
- E36-E36 :Intraoperative complications of endocrine
- E40-E46: Malnutrition
- E50-E64 :Other nutritional deficiencies
- E65-E68: Overweight, obesity and other hyperalimentation.
- E70-E88 :Metabolic disorders
- E89-E89: Postprocedural endocrine and metabolic complications
Mental, Behavioral and Neurodevelopmental disorders
- F01-F09: Mental disorders due to known physiological.
- F10-F19: Mental and behavioral disorders due to psychoactive substance use.
- F20-F29: Schizophrenia, schizotypal, delusional, non-mood psychotic disorders.
- F30-F39: Mood [affective] disorders
- F40-F48: Anxiety, dissociative, stress-related, non-psychotic mental disorders.
- F50-F59: Behavioral syndromes associated with physical factors.
- F60-F69: Disorders of adult personality and behavior.
- F70-F79: Intellectual disabilities
- F80-F89: Pervasive and specific developmental disorders.
- F90-F98: Behavioral and emotional disorders with onset usually occurring in childhood and adolescence.
- F99-F99 :Unspecified mental disorder
Diseases of the nervous system
- G00-G09: Inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system.
- G10-G14: Systemic atrophies primarily affecting the central nervous system.
- G20-G26 :Extrapyramidal and movement disorders
- G30-G32: Other degenerative diseases of the nervous system.
- G35-G37: Demyelinating diseases of the central nervous system.
- G40-G47 :Episodic and paroxysmal disorders
- G50-G59 :Nerve, nerve root and plexus disorders
- G60-G65: Polyneuropathies and other disorders of Peripheral nervous system.
- G70-G73: Diseases of myoneural junction and muscles
- G80-G83: Cerebral palsy and other paralytic syndrome.
- G89-G99: Other disorders of the nervous system
Diseases of the eye and adnexa
- H00-H05: Disorders of eyelid, lacrimal system and orbit.
- H10-H11: Disorders of conjunctiva.
- H15-H22: Disorders of sclera, cornea, iris and ciliary body.
- H25-H28: Disorders of lens
- H30-H36: Disorders of choroid and retina
- H40-H42: Glaucoma
- H43-H44: Disorders of vitreous body and globe
- H46-H47: Disorders of optic nerve and visual pathways.
- H49-H52: Disorders of ocular muscles, binocular movement, accommodation and refraction
- H53-H54: Visual disturbances and blindness
- H55-H57: Other disorders of eye and adnexa
- H59-H59: Intraoperative and post procedural complications.
Hope you got enough information on ICD-10-CM codes 2021. For more information and updates on healthcare, please subscribe to our blog. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn. Subscribe our YouTube channel for blog videos.