What makes it challenging to analyze payment variances for billing in healthcare? Did you know there might be various causes, and they typically land in two major categories? The first category includes a payer updating their payment system to account for issues like a new contract fee schedule. Latter is considered the major category of occurrence that can cause payment variances when a payer changes to their payment system but didn’t successfully apply the configuration.
Both situations tend to occur when starting a new contract year, and that’s the time to pay attention to many issues while billing in healthcare, which crops up by analyzing your payment variances before they get out of hand. Your main goal has to be about collecting 100 percent of any underpayment with every payer. This article helps you gain hints to look at your payment system and figure out what’s going on or what has happened with your payment variances.
Underpayments while Billing in Healthcare:
- Check for errors as small as $5 or $10 in underpayments. Even smaller payments like discrepancies of $5 or $10, multiplied by many procedures throughout the year, can add up to 10’s thousands of dollars in underpaid claims.
- Billing in healthcare for small underpayments happens for various reasons, and they become easy to go unnoticed if the proper systems of checks and alerts are not in place.
- Most probably, practice management systems provide a function for contract compliance. However, in our experience, we have yet to find one that allows you to manage this issue successfully.
- Billing in healthcare companies can go a step further and create a spreadsheet with our client’s contracted rates by procedure and by the carrier to ensure contract compliance for every payment that comes in.
- It might also seem like a time-intensive effort, but it can be well worth the effort. This way, billing in healthcare companies can accurately compare the payments received to the contracted rates to ensure proper payment is being received each time.
- It can also help when an improper payment is identified. You can adjudicate it promptly and appropriately.
Modifiers in Payment:
- Few add-on procedures for some specific specialty practices or surgeries can be reimbursed at different rates. They depend on whether it is the first procedure or the fifth.
- Medicare also has set limits for billing in healthcare on reimbursements after the fifth procedure. But other insurance companies don’t.
- Ensure to get details clear as possible with modifier coding and documentation, as inaccurate modifier coding can significantly affect reimbursement.
- Being more specific in documenting unusual procedural services can more likely increase the chances for reimbursements.
Fee Schedules and Contract compliance Policies:
- There are few questions to be answered, such as – How current is your organization with its standard fee schedules and contract compliance policies?
- Fee schedules also must be current and loaded into the practice management system correctly and accurately.
- You will have to set a practice policy as to when and how underpayments are handled.
- For example, we also suggest commercial insurance companies that, when an underpayment is identified, a demand letter is generated and sent to the insurance payer requiring proper payment according to the executed contract.
Time Sensitive Practices:
- Be precise about how immediately can a coding error be spotted and correctly resubmitted. How efficient is billing in healthcare getting reimbursed appropriately and identifying improper payments when they occur?
- It’s well known that code changes occur, and it will be essential to spot these errors quickly.
- Most insurance contracts have time limits associated with errors in payments for both under and overpayments.
- You must also know timely filing limits for each insurance payer.
- Create your practice policy and procedures for contract compliance and underpayments with those limits in mind.
- The more efficient and accurate everyone performs, the quicker you can resolve the issues and obtain reimbursement at the appropriate rate.
- Billing in healthcare companies is an asset to know how important it is to look at the details of payment variances and contract compliance.
Why Billing in Healthcare Companies is Important?
Knowledge & Experience:
- They have the best in-field expertise, and they also compete with similar companies for your business. The best will have experienced trained personnel who will do the billing and coding as accurately as possible.
- If you want to consider the changes in coding and billing practices, the company you choose should have the latest, most up-to-date software to keep up.
- Compare the companies with the expense of learning new coding and having the right billing software for your needs.
- By keeping up with the latest standards, there is a less likely chance of mistakes or errors that occur, which leads to fewer rejections and better overall cash flow.
Extra Time for Patients:
- Just because you start outsourcing your billing in healthcare companies, you and your staff can focus more on the patients you serve.
- In a similar manner, you can also get the most out of your practice while still getting top-flight service that improves your cash flow and reduces errors from occurring.
- While comparing the cost of outsourcing the billing services to a qualified company to hiring your staff, purchasing the equipment and software needed to perform the task, you can save a considerable amount of money.
- The best medical billing and coding companies would offer high-quality services that need no training, space in your office, or updating equipment or software as they handle that aspect themselves.
Engage with Patients Effectively:
- Patient-centered communication helps to engage patients the way they need and prefer. Save time and money with Secure Text, e-Registration, Tele-triage, Automated Reminders, Mobile Check-in, e-Faxing, and e-Statements.
- With an affordable all-in-one solution for in-office and remote patient care, you’ll get flexible workflows to help organize your practice and keep it operating at peak efficiency. You’ll also benefit from a complete end-to-end virtual practice that allows you to treat any patient, anywhere, on any device.
There are many benefits to choosing your billing for healthcare companies. Outsourcing your claims can never go wrong in most cases. To have clean and continuous reimbursements, choose the best medical billing and coding companies.
To learn more about medical billing and coding companies, please subscribe to our blog. Please write to us in the comment section. It adds value to our work. Follow us on social media portals to learn us better.