EHR software implementation for hospitals has become pretty common in the recent years. Though implementation is a process that involves time, patience as well as commitment to reach the goal of success, it needs certain strategies and techniques to sustain in medical billing industry. If the planning, communication and insufficient training is poor, it leads to miserable situations where healthcare professionals and EHR companies will have to face the consequences.
Opting for perfect EHR software implementation is one of the most important business decisions to make in healthcare practice. Technology itself is a huge investment where it’s crucial to understand the necessity and its worth. On an average, EHR software implementation takes almost eight weeks to complete based on practice variations. It’s critical to set aside time for system setup, training, and quality reviews to keep you on track.
Here are few tips to implement perfect EHR software for hospitals.
1. Select best EHR Manager to make a team:
- An EHR software implementation manager usually will have skills, trained well, time to form, lead as well as facilitate a team. This helps hospitals or healthcare organizations to worry less on EHR system.
- While assigning a dedicated implementation during on boarding, choosing a skillful manager within the practice will make sure of having consistent communication and feasible transition.
- Right from greatly skilled and expert in EHR software implementation, appoint or designate expertise within the practice who contributes best for your business or choose one of the best EHR companies to avoid maximum risk.
- EHR software implementation doesn’t totally rely completely on IT. The implementation also requires an involvement and also commitment from every level of practice.
2. Examine Patient’s Workflow and Business:
- The moment healthcare professional analyzes every function that can make you understand how the EHR companies’ staff accomplished their task with your old EHR and practice management system, create an assessment at the level of proficiency for each employee’s level of performance.
- It’s significant to accomplish and create an assessment at the level of proficiency for each employee’s level of performance.
- In order to build a comprehensive and clear path of patient workflows and office processes , include the following:
- Office infrastructure modifications
- Hardware installations
- Software configurations
- Ophthalmic equipment and image management system integration.
- Backup systems
- Entering old patient data in the new EHR software system.
- Cloud performance and security
3. Do an Insurance Payer Analysis before EHR Software implementation:
- While moving into a new practice management system, it might require new Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) agreement enrollments that differs from payer to payer and so can continue to submit electronic claims.
- If you find to outsource billing services, send a notice in advance and mention about new practice management system just to avoid revenue payment issues or denied claims.
- When healthcare professionals are in search for end to end revenue cycle management partner, look for certified coders and billers. A whole analysis on insurance companies and their policies are very important to stay updated and this makes it less complicated for hospitals or healthcare professionals in EHR software implementation.
4. Choose the Related Hardware, Software, and Business Equipment:
- Ensure to optimize software performance and data integrity by using high-quality hardware, and exceeding minimum hardware requirements to stay ahead of advancing technology.
- Focus greatly on your future requirements, and not just immediate needs, because they will change and won’t stay constant.
- Always refer to other EHR companies’ hardware and software system requirements. Only use the equipment and operating systems of EHR vendor supports and tests. Ask the EHR vendor if healthcare professionals’ diagnostic equipment is compatible with the new EHR software system and whether can transfer readings to the patient’s electronic health record.
- Discuss other diagnostic and business equipment with your EHR partner or EHR companies prior to purchasing new equipment, such as high-output laser and label printers, bar codes, insurance cards, and document scanners.
5. Plan Advanced for EHR software Implementation Data Conversion, System Setup, and Testing:
- First priority for healthcare professionals and hospitals is to complete an EHR software implementation questionnaire and an onboarding sheet.
- Never delay with finishing this critical step. Once healthcare provider defines the migration parameters, their practice will provide a system backup to the EHR on-boarding team to begin setup and testing the final data conversion.
- While healthcare provider converts paper records to electronic records or transitioning from one EHR to another, they allow plenty of time for migrating and testing your data in your new EHR system. Confirm with your EHR companies that can migrate and map legacy data (if available and accessible) to new database fields from your existing system.
6. Prioritize Training and Practice Learning the New EHR Software System:
- Best way is to use the system from check-in to check-out based on the healthcare provider’s existing workflows, noting or entering any questions if had along the way. Insufficient training can lead to unsatisfied employees, lack of high turnover rates, mistakes, and lost revenue.
- Time spend by office staff dedicated is to review training documentation and practice using the required EHR software. Reduce learning overload. No need to overload with so much information. If healthcare providers and office staff would be frustrated, give up while juggling a full patient schedule.
Pros of Electronic Health Records
- Your organization should have computerized records with a certified EHR. They must demonstrate and obtain financial incentives offered by Medicare and Medicaid.
- Additional incentives are also available only if medical professionals use an EHR to document their compliance with value-based care initiatives, such as data to support the Patient-Centered Medical Home or PCHM model.
- Designed templates are much-needed essential examples of EHR software. Using templates for general practice encounters with patients or use in a specialty will ensure that staff members always input the correct information about patients before closing the updated record.
Patient Portal Improves Access:
- The best way to save time is to activate the patient portal in your EHR system.
- It leaves patients to type their information with a computer at home or a kiosk in your waiting room, freeing them from entering redundant details on multiple stacks of paper forms.
- The staff won’t have enough information to spend time entering this information now either.
Hope you got the information on EHR software implementation. For more healthcare updates, please subscribe to our blog. Follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram.